Day at school


Finland, the country where we call teachers by their first name, don’t wear school uniforms, don’t do tons of homework, and spend hardly any time at school. Yet we are told to have one of the best education systems in the world. 


In PISA-study, which investigates math-, science- and reading skills of 15-years olds, Finland is ranked fairly high. In 2012 we were sixth in reading, 12th in maths and fifth in sience. In 2003 study, Finland was ranked even higher, almost the top. We were 1st in reading, 2nd in maths and 1st in science.* 

But what is so diffrent about Finnish school days?
At Thursday school started at 8.10 am and ended 3.00 pm. I had visual arts in the morning. It lasted for two hours. In the class I painted planets and space.
So, at Thursday the schoolday started at 8.10 am. First, we had two hours of elective subjects. I also had visual arts. We usually have really relaxed atmosphere there. I was missing from the class last Thursday, so I made a clay sculpture, which almost everyone had made last week. We can also listen to music while working. I like that, because music makes me productive and helps me to concentrate. 

After that we had a break. Two times a day we have to go out on the breaks but on the other ones we can stay in. Usually they last about 15 mins, but lunch breaks are longer.
Next we had 15 minute outdoor break, which means that everyone has to go outside. It wasn’t too cold that day, so it was nice to get some fresh air. 

Then I had biology. It was pretty boring. After biology we had a lunch break, and student counselling. We did write something with computers about careers.
Then we had a biology class. We did quite a lot of excercises straight from the workbook. I managed to finish almost all of them, I remember. The class was a bit odd,
because usually the teacher talks alot and explains how stuff works, but now he just made us do excercises. We got three excersises for homework. So far so good.
Luckily, after that we had a 30 minute lunchbreak. I can’t remember what we had for lunch that day, but we sudents can eat for free at school canteen. 

After lunch we have student counseling. The class was held at ATK-classroom, because we started to make a group project about trade school study lines. My group of three chose arts- and humanistic line. We didn’t finish the precentation, so we will contenue with it next Thursday. 

Next we had history. In history we did lots of exercise. after history we only had maths and health education. In maths we did excercises too and in health education we did exercises about road safety and traffic signs. Then I went home. 

Yay, only three classes left. Next we had a 15 minute break, and history. Unusually, like at biology class, we made a ton of excercises. I think our topic was something about dictatorship after the first world war. We had to finish the excercises at home if we didn’t manage to do them all at class. Luckily, I finished them so I had no home work from history.
Then we had another outdoor break, nothing too special. 

After that was math class, which weirdly isn’t as horrible as it was in lower grades, probably because we have a great teacher. We contenued from what we had ended, problem solving. We made a few excercises together with the teacher, and then contenued counting by ourselves. The teacher also announced our next exam, and we got two excercises for homework. 

Finally, the last class, health education. I had missed the last weeks class, so I had to make the exam about addiction and intoxicants. Luckily I was well preared, so I survived with honor. 

That’s pretty much our normal schoolday. Some days are shorter but usually the day lasts from six to seven hours. 


*https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/PISA

Kommentit